The French International School of Berne (EFIB) is a unique school in Berne. Each year, it welcomes more than 150 students in 12 classes, from kindergarten (3 years old as of December) to middle school (14 to 15 years old).
The profile of the families attending the school is as follows
- 45% French expatriate or bi-national families,
- 33% of families of diplomats or non-French expatriates (Belgium, Canada, Tunisia, Morocco, Mexico, United States, etc…),
- 22% of Swiss diplomats’ families (French education system present all over the world thanks to the AEFE) and Swiss German families who choose to learn French.
The International French School of Berne is :
- Conventioned with the AEFE (Agency for French Education Abroad), which guarantees a seamless education, from kindergarten to the baccalaureate, in more than 495 establishments located in 137 countries. EFIB is the bearer of the universal values of the AEFE: tolerance, humanism, equal opportunity, intellectual curiosity, promotion of critical thinking;
- Approved by the French Ministry of Education, offering an education that conforms to the official French curriculum;
- Authorized by the DIP (Direction de l’Instruction Publique) of the Canton of Berne.
Through the International French School of Berne, you join the worldwide network of the AEFE which counts 496 schools in 137 countries of the world, carrying universal values – tolerance, humanism, equal opportunities, intellectual curiosity, promotion of critical thinking – and which allows a primary and secondary schooling without ruptur
EFIB moved into its new premises at Jubiläumsstrasse 93-95 at the beginning of the school year 2021.
Founded in 1962, the French school is located in an old mill on the territory of the Residence of the French Ambassador in Switzerland.
The school was created as a non-profit association on the initiative of a group of parents, with the support of the French Embassy. EFIB is financially managed by a committee of volunteer parents.
The school has an agreement with the AEFE (Agence pour l’Enseignement Français à l’Etranger), is approved by the French Ministry of Education from kindergarten to 9th grade and is authorized by the DIP (Direction de l’Instruction Publique) of the Canton of Bern. The school is also under the patronage of the French Embassy.
In 2016, the French school changed its name to become the International French School of Berne (EFIB), thus underlining the international character of the school.